Last Visited: September, 2000
Located on St. David's Island and overlooking the South Shore, this famous 100 Year-old Lighthouse is a landmark on Bermudas east end. The Lighthouse at the eastern end of St. David's island is a sturdy stone structure, 55 feet high to lantern, which shows a fixed white light of the second order, of about 30 000 candlepower, at a total height of 208 feet above sea level. The light has been warning ships since November 3, 1879 and it had been subject to changes and improvements, so that in place of the original kerosene burners of the ordinary oil wick type, it has a hood petroleum vapor burner of modern type installed in June 1922. The view from the balcony is superb in its rugged beauty, looking towards the east, and its pleasing panorama of land and water looking westward.
The St. David's Lighthouse opens to the public from May to September
Nearest Address: St David's Rd Bermuda
- The lighthouse is located on the eastern portion of the island.
- From Hamilton and points west, go across the Causeway over to St. David's Island.
- At the east end of the Causeway take the first roundabout exit onto Kindley Field Road.
- Follow that around the airfield for about 2km to the next roundabout.
- Take the 2nd exit off of this roundabout (essentially heading straight).
- Continue for about another kilometer. At the intersection turn right onto St. David's Road.
- Take St. David's Road for just over 1km when you come to a fork in the road. Stay right on St. David's Road.
- Continue on St. David's Rd for about 2km and turn right onto Texas Road.
- Follow Texas Road to the end and the lighthouse.
View Bermuda Lighthouses in a larger mapta