Three Sisters Lights
Three Sisters Quick Facts
Year Station Established: 1838
Is the Light operational? No
Year Light First Lit: 1892
Year Deactivated: 1923
Tower Height: 29 ft.
Original Optic: 4th Order, Fresnel
Present Optic: Removed
Existing Keepers Quarters? No
Three Sisters Lights
(4 photos, 145KB total download)
Last Visited: August, 2000
Between 1838 and 1911 three lighthouses were in use at this location. By 1911 the cliff had eroded to within eight feet of the northernmost tower. The Bureau of Lighthouses finally decided to change Nauset to a single light. Two of the lighthouses were removed and the center one was moved back, given a white light flashing three times each ten seconds (a tribute to the Three Sisters) and attached to the keeper's house. In 1918 the defunct towers were bought for $3.50 by the Cummings family of Attleboro, Massachusetts, and incorporated into a summer cottage on Cable Road. The lighthouses each contained an upper and lower bedroom. The cottage was later used as a dance studio. By 1923 the remaining Sister was in poor condition. Meanwhile, Chatham Light was changed from a twin to a single light station. The discontinued twin from Chatham was dismantled, transported to Eastham and installed on a concrete foundation. (See Nauset Light.) The last of the Sisters passed into private hands and became the cupola of a residence known as "The Beacon." By 1975 the National Park Service had purchased the Three Sisters towers. The towers were reunited in their original configuration on Cable Road about 1,800 feet from Nauset Light. The $509,000 restoration was finished in 1989.
Lighthouse Depot Lighthouse Explorer Database
The National Park site is now open to the public with rangers offering tours from spring to fall.
Nearest Address: 805 Cable Rd, Eastham, MA
- From the south take Route 6 north into Eastham.
- At the National Seashore Visitors Center take a right onto Nauset Road.
- Follow Nauset Road for about 2 miles and take a right onto Cable Rd.
- Take Cable Rd. to the end to the parking lot for the National Seashore. Park there and walk back up Cable Rd. The lighthouses are on the north side of the road.
View Larger Map