Last Visited: September, 2000
Mulholland Point Lighthouse was built in 1888 on the west side of Campobello to guide small coasters and freighters traveling into Cobscook and Passamaquoddy Bays through the Lubec Narrows. This route offered more shelter during foul weather than did the alternate route around the eastern side of Campobello Island.
This lighthouse is a wooden-framed octagonal tower 44 feet high; its basal diameter is 22 feet. The iron lantern, which sits about 60 feet above the high water line, once held a seventh order, dioptric, oil-fueled lamp. In 1962, when navigational lights were installed on the newly-built bridge that connects Lubec with Campobello Island, the lighthouse was decommissioned. It later was donated to the Roosevelt-Campobello International park.
Nearest Address: 30 Narrows Rd Welshpool, NB E5E 1B2, Canada
- Mulholland Light can easily be reached from Lubec, Maine.
- In Lubec take Route 189 to the FDR Memorial Bridge.
- Cross the bridge into Canada.
- After going through Canadian Customs take a left into the park and parking area.
View Larger Map