Last Visited: April, 1999
New London Ledge lighthouse is unique because the house itself is a three story with the look of a small mansion. The lighthouse sits in the entrance to New London Harbor.
Some say the lighthouse is haunted. As the story goes in the 1930's the lighthouse keeper's wife ran off with the captain of one of the Block Island ferries. Supposedly the lightkeeper was so distraught over this that he jumped to his death onto the rocks around the lighthouse. Later on keepers at the light claim to have heard footsteps, the lantern door opening, and other strange noises. There has been no factual claim to this story despite what the keepers say.
The light can been seen from many vantage points on Ocean Beach on the south side of New London. Also, the ferries going to Block Island offer a great view of the lighthouse.
Can best be seen from Ocean Beach. Directions below are to that beach.
Nearest Address: 54 Mott Ave New London, CT
- From Route 95 south take exit 82.
- At the end of the ramp take a left onto Route 85.
- Stay on Route 85 (Broad St) for 1.1 miles then turn right onto Route 1 (Colman St).
- In 1.2 miles, Route 1 goes to the right. Turn left onto Bank St.
- In 0.1 miles turn right onto Ocean Ave.
- Stay on Ocean Ave for 2.2 miles then turn left onto Glenwood Ave.
- In 0.2 miles take your 2nd right onto Lower Blvd.
- Take Lower Blvd to the end then turn left onto Pequot Ave.
- New London Harbor light is up the street on the right. Head to the small beach to see New London Ledge off in the distance.
View Larger Map