Stonington Quick Facts
Year Station Established: 1823
Is the Light operational? No
Year Light First Lit: 1840
Year Deactivated: 1889
Tower Height: 35 ft.
Original Optic: 6th Order, Fresnel
Present Optic: Removed
Existing Keepers Quarters? Yes
Year Constructed: 1850
Number of Stories: 1.5
Architectural Style: Attached
Construction Materials: Granite
Stonington Harbor Lighthouse
(3 photos, 95KB total download)
Last Visited: April, 1999
This lighthouse was once the beacon for the many vessels approaching Stonington's harbor from Long Island Sound. The original 30-foot stone tower, which was built on the Point in 1823, supported a lantern containing ten oil lamps and parabolic reflectors. Its beacon was visible 12 miles at sea.
During the next few years, however, storms and shore erosion took their toll on the exposed site. In 1840 the structure was dismantled and the materials used to build a new tower and keeper's dwelling on the present site. The light remained active until 1889 when a beacon was installed on the outer end of a new breakwater protecting the harbor entrance.
Stonington's lighthouse became the museum of the Historical Society in 1927. Now six rooms of exhibits testify to the rich and varied history of this coastal region through exhibits depicting the lives of Stonington's fishermen and farmers, merchants and shipbuilders, pottery makers, blacksmiths and many other trades. Each year a special aspect of Stonington history is featured. One room with a large dollhouse is reserved for items of interest to children and adults.
Stonington Historical Society
10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily in July and August.
Closed Mondays the other months.
7 Water Street, Stonington, CT 06378
Telephone: (860) 535-1440
Nearest Address: 5 Water St, Stonington, CT
- Route Route 95 north take exit 91.
- At the end of the ramp take a right onto Route 234.
- In 0.3 miles turn left onto Main St.
- Take Main St. 2.3 miles then turn left onto Route 1A.
- In a bit over 400 ft. turn right onto Alpha Ave.
- Alpha Ave ends in about 0.2 miles. At the intersection turn left onto Water St.
- Take Water St. 0.7 miles to the lighthouse. There is parking at the end of the road.
View Larger Map