Civitavecchia
Cyberlights Lighthouses - Civitavecchia  



         Cyberlights Lighthouses

Faro di Civitavecchia
Civitavecchia, Italy

Cyberlights Lighthouses - Faro di Civitavecchia

Photo(s) 2002-2005, Egidio Ferrighi



History:
In 108 CE, the Roman Emperor Trajan built two lighthouses at Centumcellae, now Civitavecchia, a city about 50 km (30 mi) northwest of Rome. In 1616, Pope Pius V built a new lighthouse on the foundation of one of the Roman towers, and in 1860 Pope Leo IX had a second-order lantern installed on the tower. Huelse has a postcard view of the lighthouse, which was 32 m (105 ft) tall. The lighthouse was destroyed during World War II. After the war, a 20 m (66 ft) round stone tower was built as a historic landmark on the modern breakwater, about 600 m (3/8 mi) northwest of the old lighthouse. However, this "replica" does not resemble the original and is at best a faux lighthouse. The ruins of the historic lighthouse are located on a short abandoned mole on the old waterfront of Civitavecchia.

Source: The Lighthouse Directory

Directions:
  • Coming soon....


View Italy Lighthouses in a larger map


Click for Civitavecchia, Italy Forecast

Share


Visit Cyberlights Lighthouses
All pages and photos copyright © 1996-2018,
Gary P. Richardson and Anna P. Klein, unless otherwise noted.
No images or content on this site may be copied or reproduced without prior permission.

Visit Anna and Gary's Website at https://www.photosetc.net

Back to Top