Eastern Point Quick Facts
Year Station Established: 1832
Is the Light operational? Yes
Year Light First Lit: 1890
Year Automated: 1980
Tower Height: 36 ft.
Original Optic: 4th Order, Fresnel
Present Optic: DCB-24
Existing Keepers Quarters? Yes
Eastern Point Lighthouse
(3 photos, 98KB total download)
Eastern Point Light is an historic lighthouse on Cape Ann, in northeastern Massachusetts.
The lighthouse was originally planned in 1829 and was erected by 1832 on the east side of the Gloucester Harbor entrance. It was first lit on January 1, 1832. The tower was rebuilt in 1848 and again in 1890. The third and current conical brick tower stands 36 feet (11 m) tall. The lighthouse has an attached two-story keeper's quarters, built in 1879. The actual light is 57 feet (17 m) above Mean High Water. Its white light is visible for 20 nautical miles.
In 1880, the lighthouse was occupied by American landscape painter Winslow Homer. It was automated by September 1985 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. The lighthouse is currently operated by the United States Coast Guard and is closed to the public.
A distinctive rock formation known as Mother Ann is located along the shore near the lighthouse.
Nearest Address: 198 Eastern Point Blvd, Gloucester, MADirections:
|Lighthouse Tours||Lighthouse LINKS||Accomodations||FAQ||