Race Point Light
Cyberlights Lighthouses - Race Point Light  

Race Point Quick Facts

Year Station Established: 1816

Is the Light operational? Yes

Year Light First Lit: 1876

Year Automated: 1978

Shape: Conical

Tower Height: 45   ft.

Original Optic: 4th Order, Fresnel

Present Optic: VRB-25 Solar

Existing Keepers Quarters? Yes
     Year Constructed: 1876
      Number of Stories: 2
      Architectural Style: Victorian
      Construction Materials: Wood



         Cyberlights Lighthouses

Race Point Lighthouse
Provincetown, MA

Cyberlights Lighthouses - Race Point Lighthouse

More Photos
(9 photos, 264KB total download)

Last Visited: August, 2000

History:
As early as 1808, Provincetown’s residents asked for a lighthouse at Race Point. Travel was treacherous for vessels negotiating the bars near Race Point at Cape Cod’s northern tip. Race Point Lighthouse was first lighted on November 5, 1816. The rubblestone tower’s light was 25 feet above sea level, and was one of the earliest revolving lights - in an attempt to differentiate it from other lighthouses on Cape Cod.

In 1840, the Keeper’s house was built. In 1852 a fog bell was installed at Race Point. Three years later, a fourth order Fresnel lens was installed in the tower. In 1873, the bell was replaced by a steam-driven fog signal housed in a new building. A second Keeper’s dwelling was built in 1876.

By 1876, the old stone “tower” needed rebuilding, and was replaced by a 45-foot cast-iron lighthouse, lined with brick. The Fresnel lens was also installed. The original Keeper’s house was torn down, and a new dwelling built. A water cistern was added in 1877.

Three Keepers and their families lived at the lighthouse in the two separate Keeper’s houses. The children walked almost three miles over sand to school every day. In the 1930’s a Keeper named James Hinckley made the trip much quicker by customizing a Ford into a dune buggy; the trip now took just thirty minutes. We now use a newer form of dune buggy - a Suburban!

In 1957, Race Point Light was electrified. Three years later the 1874-Gothic Revival Keeper’s house was torn down, and the other house modernized. The light was automated in 1972. The Fresnel lens was replaced by a 190mm optic, and in 1994 the beacon and fog signal became solar-powered. The Keeper’s house remained boarded up for more than 20 years after the Coast Guard left and in 2003 became solar powered as well. In 2007 a wind turbine was added.

In 1995, the Keeper’s house and surrounding property was leased to the New England Lighthouse Foundation. Known for their work on other New England Lighthouses, International Chimney rebuilt the roof and chimney of the Keeper’s house. Master craftsmanRichard Davidson of Onset rebuilt much of the interior and exterior. Dana Green, of Green and Robinson, crafted the windows and doors for the lighthouse and Whistle house. Volunteers finished renovations, and the four-bedroom Keeper’s house opened for overnight stays.

Today, the Race Point LightHouse optic is still an active aid to navigation, maintained by the Coast Guard. The Cape Cod Chapter of the American Lighthouse Foundation maintains all of the structures and grounds.

Source: Cape Cod Chapter, American Lighthouse Foundation

Hours:
The area surrounding the light is part of Race Point Beach. It is a 2+ mile walk over soft sand from the parking lot at Race Point Beach to the lighthouse.

Latitude/Longitude: 42.062182,-70.243387

Nearest Address: 176 Race Point Road, Provincetown, MA

Directions:
  • Take Route 6 into Provincetown and take a right onto Race Point Road.
  • Turn into Race Point Beach parking lot.
  • If you have a 4WD vehicle you can register for a permit at the Coast Guard Station to allow you to drive on the beach.
  • Otherwise, park your car, head out to the beach, turn left, and walk 2+ miles on the beach to the lighthouse.


View Larger Map


Click for Provincetown, Massachusetts Forecast

What's near here? Click to find out

Share


Visit Cyberlights Lighthouses
All pages and photos copyright © 1996-2018,
Gary P. Richardson and Anna P. Klein, unless otherwise noted.
No images or content on this site may be copied or reproduced without prior permission.

Visit Anna and Gary's Website at https://www.photosetc.net

Back to Top