Two Bush Quick Facts
Year Station Established: 1897
Is the Light operational? Yes
Year Light First Lit: 1897
Year Automated: 1964
Tower Height: 42 ft.
Original Optic: 5th Order, Fresnel
Present Optic: DCB-224
Existing Keepers Quarters? No
Two Bush Island Lighthouse
(4 photos, 91KB total download)
Two Bush Island Lighthouse Videos
Built in 1897 to mark the entrance to Two Bush Channel in the Penobscot Bay, Two Bush Island Light was an isolated and rough assignment for keepers. The island was named for two lone pines, now gone, that served as day beacons before the building of the 42-foot square lighthouse.
Two Bush Island Light was automated in 1964 and the keepers were removed. In 1970 the Coast Guard allowed the Green Berets to destroy the keeper's house as a demolition exercise.
The light was converted to solar power in the summer of 2000.
Today Two Bush Island Light stands alone on the stark island, still an important aid to navigation. Under the Maine Lights Program the lighthouse became the property of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in 1998. The lighthouse can be seen only by boat or from the air.
New England Lighthouses - A Virtual Guide
|Lighthouse Tours||Lighthouse LINKS||Accomodations||FAQ||