Last Visited: October, 2001
The lighthouse at Tuckerton Seaport is a replica of a lighthouse which stood on Tucker's Island but fell into the ocean in 1927. Although there is no light in its tower, the replica is a wonderful reproduction and contains a great museum talking about the US Lifesaving Service and Barnegat Bay.
About Tucker's Island Light:
In 1868, a two-story lighthouse was erected on Tucker's Island with a tower above, painted black, 50 feet above sea level. The light sent a beam of six red flashes, followed by one short white flash and was visible twelve miles out to sea following a series of storms. The lighthouse was swept into the sea in 1927.
Tucker's Island, the first resort along the New Jersey coast, had a remarkable but short-lived history. From the time it was originally settled in 1735 until it was a barely visible sandbar in 1945, Tucker's Island, also called Sea Haven, was a prosperous seashore village with a light house, a life saving station, two hotels, more than 70 cottages, and a schoolhouse. The island enjoyed regular passenger steamship service from the Edge Cove Tuckerton Railroad spur on the mainland.
The replica of Tucker's Island Lighthouse is the centerpiece of the Tuckerton Seaport. This Interpretive Center contains displays, artifacts and antique photos of the settlement and life on the island, and of its reclamation by the sea. Exhibits about lighthouses of the Jersey Shore and their keepers, including the recently reassembled Brandywine Shoals Lighthouse Lens and an exhibit featuringt the U.S. Lifesaving Service, are located in this building, in addition to displays of the Museum's permanent collections in a climate-controlled environment.
See http://www.tuckertonseaport.org/seaport.html for information on hours and admission costs.
Nearest Address: 112 E Main St, Tuckerton, NJ
- From Garden State Parkway take exit 58 onto Route 539 south.
- Take 539 south into Tuckerton.
- Turn right onto Route 9 south.
- The entrance to Tuckerton Seaport site is on Route 9 (left side), directly across from Lake Pohatcong.
View Larger Map