Esopus Meadows Light
Cyberlights Lighthouses - Esopus Meadows Light  

Esopus Quick Facts

Year Station Established: 1839

Is the Light operational? No

Year Light First Lit: 1872

Year Deactivated: 1965

Shape: Octagonal on Square House

Tower Height: 25   ft.

Original Optic: 5th Order, Fresnel

Present Optic: Removed

Existing Keepers Quarters? Yes
     Year Constructed: 1872
      Number of Stories: 1.5
      Architectural Style: Victorian
      Construction Materials: Wood



         Cyberlights Lighthouses

Esopus Meadows Lighthouse
Esopus, NY

Cyberlights Lighthouses - Esopus Meadows Lighthouse

More Photos
(6 photos, 242KB total download)

Esopus Meadows Lighthouse Videos
  [Video]

Last Visited: October, 2005

History:
The Esopus Meadows Lighthouse, fondly nicknamed "The Maid of the Meadows", was completed in 1871. It replaced an earlier structure built in 1839 on land ceded to the United States Government from the state of New York. The lighthouse was needed on the Hudson River to warn mariners of the mud flats known as the Esopus Meadows located off the western shore of the river.

The lighthouse was built on a new foundation, located to the south of the former location, traces of which are still visible on the adjoining small island. Two hundred and fifty piles, each 40 feet long, were driven into the river bottom. They were cut off three feet below the mean water mark, capped with 12 inch square timers and topped with a deck of three-inch pine. Granite blocks were stacked 16 feet high producing a pier with a diameter 49 feet at the base and 46 feet at the top. On top of this pier was built a wooden keeper's dwelling with a mansard roof and clapboard exterior. Inside the house is a kitchen, sitting room and equipment room on the first floor and three bedrooms and a bath on the second.

The light tower extends above the living quarters with an octagonal deck housing the light. Situated 53 feet above the mean water line, the lantern room previously contained an optic fifth-order Fresnel lens providing a 270 degree arc of light that was visible for 12 nautical miles.

The lighthouse was tended by resident keeper until 1965 when it was converted to an automatic solar powered system. Although only accessible by boat, without the care of on-site keepers, the lighthouse fell into the ruinous hands of vandals and Mother Nature.

In 1979, the Esopus Meadows Lighthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The road to restoration didn’t really begin until 1990 when the Save Esopus Lighthouse Commission was formed. The concerned volunteers, under the direction of Arline Fitzpatrick, leased the site from the Coast Guard and began extensive restoration efforts. SELC raised funds from various sources to cover emergency repairs, extensive carpentry, painting and shingling of the mansard roof.

By 1997, a reorganization of SELC, as well as new volunteers from the Aids to Navigation Coast Guard Station in Saugerties, continued to bring the lighthouse back to life.

The fall of 2000 brought an impressive milestone in restoration efforts – stabilization and leveling of the house was completed.

July 2001 brought another milestone for the lighthouse. The restoration was reorganized as a museum under the New York State Regents providing a provisional charter as the Esopus Meadows Lighthouse which allows the pursuit of additional funding and ownership of the house.

In September 2002, the lighthouse stewardship was formally granted by the General Services Administration to the newly-chartered Esopus Meadows Lighthouse.

Perhaps the most rewarding achievement to date happened on May 31, 2003. After 38 years of darkness, a new light was installed in the tower, thereby deeming the house “a working navigational aid.”

Source: Esopus Lighthouse Foundation

Hours:
The Esopus Meadows Lighthouse is not open for visitation as it is structurally unsafe.

Latitude/Longitude: 41.868434,-73.941692

Nearest Address: 257 River Rd, Ulster Park, NY

Directions:
  • From Route 87 take exit 19 in Ulster.
  • At the end of the ramp you'll be at a rotary (roundabout for our european friends :-). Go 3/4 around the rotary and take SR 28/Route 587 towards Kingston.
  • SR 28 is also Broadway. Take Broadway for about 1.4 miles when Broadway goes off to the left and McEntee St goes off to the right. Go right onto McEntee St.
  • In 0.1 miles turn left onto Wurts St.
  • Stay on Wurts St. for about 1 mile to the end at the intersection with Route 9W.
  • Turn right onto Route 9W.
  • Take 9W for 0.9 miles and turn left onto CR 24 / River Rd.
  • Follow River Road until you see the lighthouse on the left and a small park (aptly named Lighthouse Park). Park there and walk to the water's edge for a view of the lighthouse.


View Larger Map


Click for Esopus, New York Forecast

What's near here? Click to find out

Share


Visit Cyberlights Lighthouses
All pages and photos copyright © 1996-2018,
Gary P. Richardson and Anna P. Klein, unless otherwise noted.
No images or content on this site may be copied or reproduced without prior permission.

Visit Anna and Gary's Website at https://www.photosetc.net

Back to Top