Tarrytown Quick Facts
Year Station Established: 1883
Is the Light operational? No
Year Light First Lit: 1883
Year Deactivated: 1961
Tower Height: ft.
Original Optic: 4th Order, Fresnel
Existing Keepers Quarters? Yes
Year Constructed: 1883
Number of Stories: 4
Architectural Style: Integral
Construction Materials: Cast Iron
(3 photos, 64KB total download)
Last Visited: February, 2000
Built in 1882-83, the Tarrytown Lighthouse was the southernmost in series of eight lighthouses charged with the responsibility for providing navigational aid to shipping on the Hudson River and for guarding river traffic from dangerous shoal water on the river's eastern shore. The Tarrytown Light was first lit on October 1, 1883.
All of the Hudson River lighthouses were designated "family stations," as the keepers and their families lived there year-round. Performing the never-ending chores of lighthouse operation and maintenance, they experienced boredom, danger, and tragedy
The rock-rimmed cast iron tower of the Tarrytown Lighthouse has kept steady vigil over the ebb and flow of the affairs of people and the river for more than a century. The panorama from the bell deck of the lighthouse was a witness to maritime evolution. When the age of "wooden ships and iron men" closed, oil-fueled vessels with steel hull sent their wakes to lap around the base of the tower. The Tarrytown Lighthouse stood at attention as warships on their was to and from world wars relied on it for navigational assistance.
The Tarrytown Lighthouse was decommissioned in 1965, after more than three-quarters of a century of service. All of the Hudson River's lighthouses have long since been decommissioned; five of the eight remain standing. The County of Westchester acquired the lighthouse in 1974, in recognition of its historical value. The Tarrytown Lighthouse was placed on the national Register of Historic Places in 1979.
Westchester County, New York
TOURS are available by appointment. There is a fee of $150 for a group of up to 25 people. The program lasts approximately 50 minutes. Call (914) 864-7177 to arrange a guided tour for your group or class trip, or for further information.
The Tarrytown Lighthouse is located at Kingsland Point Park, a 30-acre county park with picnic facilities, playground and athletic fields
Nearest Address: 145 Devries Ave, Sleepy Hollow, NY
- From Route 87 take the Route 9 exit, and head north into Tarrytown.
- Follow Route 9 through Tarrytown and take a left onto Devries Ave.
- Continue on Devries Ave to the end, and the entrance to Kingsland Point Park.
View Larger Map