Old Fort Niagara
Fort Niagara Quick Facts
Year Station Established: 1782
Is the Light operational? No
Year Light First Lit: 1872
Year Deactivated: 1993
Tower Height: 61 ft.
Original Optic: 4th Order, Fresnel
Present Optic: 4th Order, Fresnel
Existing Keepers Quarters? Yes
Year Constructed: 1897
Number of Stories: 2
Architectural Style: Queen Ann
Construction Materials: Wood
Old Fort Niagara Lighthouse
(7 photos, 265KB total download)
Old Fort Niagara Lighthouse Videos
Last Visited: May, 2004
This is the 3rd lighthouse at Fort Niagara. Built in 1872, 50 foot, octagonal stone tower was completed on the lake shoreline just south of the fort. This new tower had 11 feet added to its height in 1900, enabling its beacon to shine out some 25 miles over Lake Ontario.
The refurbished tower included a watch room, complete with a built-in desk for the keeper. A lamp-oil shed sat at the tower's base. This new tower served lake vessels until recently.
The deactivated lighthouse is one of many exhibits in Old Fort Niagara State Park, where it watches over the park's numerous military reenactments.
For hours of operation and admission into the park visit http://oldfortniagara.org/visit/admissions.php
Nearest Address: 4 Scott Ave, Youngstown, NY
- From Niagara Falls, NY, take the Robert Moses Parkway north for about 13 miles.
- At that point there's be a left lane exit for Youngstown and Fort Niagara State Park. Take that exit and follow the signs for the park.
- Once you enter the park follow the signs for OLD Fort Niagara.
View Larger Map