Last Visited: August, 2002
The Vermilion Lighthouse was built in 1847 in Lake Erie. In 1859 it was rebuilt by replacing its 6th order lens with a 5th order lens. By 1877, the lighthouse was once again rebuilt. In1893 the lighthouse moved closer to the end of the pier in Vermilion. Acetylene replaced oil in the lamp around 1919. Ten years later the lighthouse underwent more alterations. It was dismantled and replaced by and 18-foot skeletal tower. Not until 1992 was the lighthouse finally brought back to Vermilion in the form of an exact replica with the exception of a catwalk or pier. The lighthouse proudly stands in the front of the Great Lakes Historical Society, on the shore of Lake Erie, in Vermilion, Ohio
Inland Seas Maritime Museum
The Inland Seas Maritime Museum is open seven days a week, 361 days per year. It is closed on New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.
Nearest Address: 480 Main St, Vermilion, OH
- From SR-2 in Vermilion take the exit for SR-60 north (State Rd).
- Follow SR-60 for 1.7 miles. At the intersection with SR-6 (Liberty Ave), go straight, continuing on Main St.
- At the end of the road the museum will be on your left. There is plenty of parking.
View Larger Map