Coquille River Quick Facts
Year Station Established: 1896
Is the Light operational? No
Year Light First Lit: 1896
Year Deactivated: 1939
Tower Height: 40 ft.
Original Optic: 4th Order, Fresnel
Present Optic: Solar Powered
Existing Keepers Quarters? No
Coquille River Lighthouse
(13 photos, 404KB total download)
Last Visited: May, 2003
The Coquille River Lighthouse, built in 1896 is the smallest on the Oregon coast. Congress appropriated $50,000 for it's construction, but by the time the engineers dipped into the fund for improvements to other lighthouses, the Coquille River Lighthouse, keepers residence, barn and out buildings were completed for only $17,600. ---- Ships captains lined up on the lighthouse beam at night and followed it in near the rivers mouth and dropped anchor. At daylight, the captain could check the swell conditions over the bar and judge whether or not it was safe to enter the river. Around the turn of the century, Bandon was the busiest port between the Columbia River and San Francisco, and the most treacherous!
The jetties help stabilize the feared bar. The south jetty was built in 1887, and extended to it's present length in 1953. The north jetty was completed in 1905, using blue schist stone from Tupper Rock for construction. Tupper Rock was located where The Heritage Place retirement home now sits on Jetty Road.
Bandon Visitors Guide
Daily year round, open during daylight hours.
Nearest Address: Park Rd, Bandon, OR
- From US101 in Bandon turn west onto Park Rd (should be the entrance to Bullards Beach State Park).
- Take Park Rd. for appx. 3 miles to the end. Park in the parking lot and walk the short distance to the lighthouse.
View Larger Map