Wind Point Light
Wind Point Quick Facts
Year Station Established: 1880
Is the Light operational? Yes
Year Light First Lit: 1880
Year Automated: 1964
Tower Height: 108 ft.
Original Optic: 3rd Order, Fresnel
Present Optic: DCB-24R
Existing Keepers Quarters? Yes
Year Constructed: 1880
Number of Stories: 1.5
Architectural Style: Gable
Construction Materials: Brick
Wind Point Lighthouse
Wind Point. WI
(8 photos, 118KB total download)
Last Visited: June, 2002
Wind Point Lighthouse (or Windpoint Light Station) is a lighthouse located at the north end of Racine Harbor in the U.S. state of Wisconsin. It is in the village of Wind Point, Wisconsin, on Lighthouse Road, next to the Shoop Park golf course. The lighthouse stands 108 feet (33 m) tall. One of the oldest and tallest active lighthouses on the Great Lakes.
Wind Point Lighthouse was designed by Orlando Metcalfe Poe and constructed in 1880. The beacon was originally powered by a three-wicked kerosene lamp, magnified by a third-order Fresnel lens. The light was electrified in 1924, and replaced by a DCB-24R airport beacon in 1964. The DCB-24R failed in 2007, and was replaced by a VRB-25 lens. A signal house (horns removed, resonators still in place) remains on the grounds as well as a garage, two storage buildings, and an oil house. The Village of Wind Point has maintained the lighthouse and grounds since 1964, and uses the old keepers' quarters as a village hall and police headquarters.
In the summer of 2007, the lighthouse tower underwent a US$210,000 restoration, during which windows and doors were replaced, brickwork repointed, and the tower repainted.
The lighthouse interior is not open to the public, but visitors can stroll the grounds and enjoy the view.
- From I-94 take exit 333 and head east on Route 20.
- Stay on Route 20 for 8.6 miles until you come to Route 32.
- Continue straight Route 32. Route 32 goes into downtown Racine, and turns left to join with Main St.
- Stay on Route 32 for an additional 1.3 miles. At that point Route 32 goes to the left. Continue STRAIGHT onto N. Main St.
- Take N. Main St. for 1.6 miles then turn right onto 3 Mile Rd.
- Go on 3 Mile Rd. for about 1.1 miles. You'll go through a golf course then see the lighthouse on the right. Turn at the sign for the Wind Point Police Dept. (they have an office at the lighthouse).
View Larger Map